Thursday, May 19, 2005

The Good Word

People are becoming more idiotic and worthless.

Don't believe me? Try getting someone to keep their word. Invariably, people will give their word to you with absolutely no intention of keeping it, or conveniently "forgetting." What's the point? If you don't plan on keeping your word, don't give it, and if you do not think you will be able to fulfill your obligation (again, to YOUR word), at least contact that person ahead of time so you aren't wasting anyone's time. I took off from work Tuesday to wait for the cable guy. The cable company said he would be there between 11 - 2. I also had to get my car serviced and visit my accountant. Still plenty of time to get all three done. My car appointment was at 3:30 and my accountant visit was after that.

You know, I had a story here, but nothing sucks the marrow from the bone like a LONG bitch session about ONE thing. Let's move on.

I don't know about you, but trust is the number one quality I look for in a person, whether it is in a buddy or a relationship or anything in between. Well, this may be a surprise to you, but, giving your word and keeping it is a gloriously shining example of that trust on display. I don't care if you say you are going to help your friend gun down his enemies or promise your girlfriend you are going to clean the hair out of the drain. Your word is your word, and you are a complete zero when you violate it.

Maybe I'm one of the last of a dying breed. When I give my word, nothing short of my hospitalization or death keeps me from fulfilling that oath. It's simple common courtesy. It's also called acting like an adult. If you cannot be trustworthy by not keeping your word, you may as well do this world a favor and put a bullet in your head, because you are a piece of garbage and you are worthless to every person with whom you come into contact.

Word.

Listening to: "Joy to the World" - Three Dog Night

No comments: